Football

Gianluca Prestianni responds after Vinicius Jr alleges racist abuse

Real Madrid’s 1-0 victory over Benfica in the first leg of their Champions League knockout phase play-off was interrupted Tuesday night after Vinicius Jr reported alleged racist abuse, prompting a temporary suspension at the Estadio da Luz.

With tensions rising inside a packed Lisbon stadium, the match was halted for roughly 10 minutes in the second half when Vinicius approached French referee Francois Letexier. The Brazilian forward alleged that Benfica’s Gianluca Prestianni made a racist remark while covering his mouth with his shirt.

Letexier responded by making UEFA’s crossed-arms anti-racism gesture the signal used under European football’s discrimination protocol. Players were led off the field as officials addressed the situation, while confusion and jeers echoed around the ground.

https://twitter.com/footballontnt/status/2023884865569997058?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E2023884865569997058%7Ctwgr%5Ea4d3fcfaaab769ff6469df73fb6ba0314c89207b%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.givemesport.com%2Fgianluca-prestianni-statement-vinicius-jr-benfica-real-madrid%2F

Vinicius strike decides first leg

Before the stoppage, the contest had been finely balanced. After a scoreless first half, Vinicius broke through in the 50th minute, cutting inside from the left and driving a powerful effort beyond goalkeeper Anatoliy Trubin.

Read also: Haaland could rethink Man City future if Guardiola leaves

The goal ultimately proved decisive, giving Madrid a narrow advantage ahead of next week’s return leg. However, the Brazilian’s celebration appeared to inflame tensions in the stands, setting the stage for the confrontation that followed moments later.

When play resumed, Prestianni remained on the pitch until the 81st minute, when Benfica manager Jose Mourinho substituted him. Mourinho was later dismissed after receiving two yellow cards during a heated conclusion to the match.

Strong reactions after the final whistle

In the aftermath, Vinicius posted a brief but pointed message on social media: “Racists are, above all, cowards”.

Kylian Mbappe also condemned the alleged abuse. According to beIN Sports, the France international said:

Read also: Supercomputer predicts 2025-26 Champions League winner

“What I saw is very clear: number 25 said five times to Vini that you are a monkey. Everyone can have their opinion, but this kind of behaviour is unacceptable. It’s wonderful to play in the Champions League, but showing this image is terrible for world football.

“I called him racist because I think he is. He tried to hide behind his shirt, but his face doesn’t lie. This type of person is not a professional colleague. A young player cannot have the freedom to say things like this on a football field. It’s a big problem, and we’ll see what happens.”

Mourinho later suggested that Vinicius’s celebrations may have intensified the atmosphere inside the stadium, though he said he wanted to remain “independent” in his assessment after hearing different versions from those involved. His remarks drew criticism from observers who argued that the focus should remain on the allegation itself.

Prestianni issues denial

Prestianni denied the accusation in a statement posted to Instagram early Wednesday. As reported by beIN Sports, he wrote:

Read also: Russian volunteer leads Ukraine at Winter Olympics opening ceremony

“I want to clarify that at no point did I direct racist insults at Vinícius Jr, who unfortunately misunderstood what he thought he heard. I have never been racist toward anyone.”

He added: “And I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players.”

UEFA had not announced any disciplinary action as of Wednesday morning.

The second leg is scheduled for next week, with a place in the Champions League Round of 16 at stake.

Read also: Bukayo Saka commits future to Arsenal in record deal

https://twitter.com/TouchlineX/status/2023963173779583076?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E2023963173779583076%7Ctwgr%5Ea4d3fcfaaab769ff6469df73fb6ba0314c89207b%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.givemesport.com%2Fgianluca-prestianni-statement-vinicius-jr-benfica-real-madrid%2F

Sources: beIN Sports, TNT Sports

Read also: Trump’s White House UFC event takes shape as second title fight emerges

Oliver Obel

Oliver Obel – Sports Content Creator & Football Specialist I’m a passionate Sports Content Creator with a strong focus on football. I write for LenteDesportiva, where I produce high-quality content that informs, entertains, and connects with football fans around the world. My work revolves around player rankings, transfer analysis, and in-depth features that explore the modern game. I combine a sharp editorial instinct with a deep understanding of football’s evolution, always aiming to deliver content that captures both insight and emotion.