Sports

Trump’s White House UFC event takes shape as second title fight emerges

The UFC’s planned 2026 event at the White House is beginning to come into sharper focus, with two potential championship bouts now linked to the historic card.

The promotion is targeting June 14, 2026 the 250th anniversary of the United States’ founding and President Donald Trump’s 80th birthday for a fight night on the South Lawn. If finalized, it would mark the first time a major mixed martial arts event is staged at the executive residence.

UFC president Dana White said planning is already well underway.

“We have two different options laid out and the matchmaking process is already laid out so, yeah,” White said during his post-fight press conference following Zuffa Boxing 3. “We got the White House card done last week.”

Read also: Champions League night in Lisbon could define Arbeloa

While the UFC has not officially announced any bouts, potential matchups are beginning to surface.

Lightweight title unification in discussion

According to Spanish journalist Alvaro Colmenero, Ilia Topuria and Justin Gaethje are being targeted for a lightweight title unification bout as the event’s headliner.

Gaethje claimed the interim lightweight belt with a victory over Paddy Pimblett at UFC 324 last month. Topuria stepped away from competition earlier this year for personal reasons but remains central to the division’s championship picture.

If booked, the fight would unify the titles and immediately anchor the card with one of the sport’s most competitive divisions.

Read also: Manchester City begin planning for life after Pep Guardiola

Nunes targets Harrison return

A second championship fight could strengthen the lineup further. Former two-division champion Amanda Nunes has said she hopes to reschedule her bout with women’s bantamweight champion Kayla Harrison for the White House card.

The matchup had been slated to co-headline UFC 324 before Harrison withdrew due to a neck injury.

Speaking to UFC Brasil, Nunes expressed optimism that Harrison’s recovery timeline could allow the fight to be revisited.

“I think she has six months to recover and give some feedback to the UFC,” Nunes told UFC Brasil. “I saw that she’s already back at the gym and that makes me really happy. I wish her all the best in her recovery and everything because of course I need her.

Read also: Canada coach criticises Olympic curling rule shift

“How could I wish her bad? I want her to recover as fast as possible, and I’ll be right here. Everything depends on her now for us to make this fight happen, maybe at the White House. I think that would be perfect. And I’ll be ready.”

Interest across the roster

The scale and symbolism of the venue have drawn interest from several high-profile fighters.

Conor McGregor, Jon Jones and Alex Pereira have all been linked to the event in recent months. Lightweight champion Islam Makhachev has indicated he would welcome the opportunity to compete in Washington.

Colby Covington, Michael Chandler and Bo Nickal have also publicly floated potential matchups. Covington has discussed a bout with Pimblett, Chandler continues to pursue a fight with McGregor, and Nickal has mentioned Covington as a possible opponent. BMF titleholder Max Holloway could add further championship presence if additional title fights are pursued.

Read also: Lindsey Vonn returns home after horror Olympic crash

Significant security, logistical and broadcast considerations would accompany an event of this scale, and the final fight card remains subject to official confirmation.

Sources: UFC press conference, UFC Brasil, reporting by Alvaro Colmenero.

Read also: Arteta hints at tactical shift

Oliver Obel

Oliver Obel – Sports Content Creator & Football Specialist I’m a passionate Sports Content Creator with a strong focus on football. I write for LenteDesportiva, where I produce high-quality content that informs, entertains, and connects with football fans around the world. My work revolves around player rankings, transfer analysis, and in-depth features that explore the modern game. I combine a sharp editorial instinct with a deep understanding of football’s evolution, always aiming to deliver content that captures both insight and emotion.