'Unrefusable': the Real Madrid offer Rodri still walked away from

‘Unrefusable’: the Real Madrid offer Rodri still walked away from

Pablo Barquero says Real Madrid put “everything on the table” for Rodri before the Spain midfielder chose Barcelona in a £65m deal, insisting the choice was never a financial one.

·

Read in:

Rodri’s agent has confirmed that Real Madrid tabled a package his client considered “unrefusable” and that the midfielder still moved to Barcelona.

Speaking to Cadena SER, Pablo Barquero framed the switch as anything but a decision driven by money.

“Real Madrid made an unrefusable offer to Rodri after the World Cup,” Barquero said.

“Madrid were serious about going after Rodri and put everything on the table so that he would play for Madrid. From their president down to the general director, everyone worked so that Rodri could play for Real Madrid.”

Read also: Tsarukyan questions Oliveira's UFC 331 withdrawal: 'In three days or four days, he's doing live streams'

Manchester City accepted Barcelona’s bid on Sunday, with the Catalan club agreeing a fee of £65.4m ($88.47m) and a four-year contract for the 30-year-old.

How the money broke down

According to reporting from Spain, Barcelona’s package was built around a fee near €60m and a contract worth roughly €30m gross a year, with Real Madrid said to have matched the overall value.

“The offer is really good; both the agent and Rodri appreciate the class, dignity, respect, and manner with which Madrid handled the negotiations.”

The pitch from Catalonia, by contrast, was an all-out one. Sporting director Deco led the talks, club president Joan Laporta was involved, and head coach Hansi Flick contacted Rodri directly to sell the project.

Read also: 'There needs to be change': More bad news for Infantino

Why the sporting case won

Rodri had spoken publicly earlier this year about a desire to play at the Santiago Bernabeu, which is what made the eventual switch to the Catalan side one of the more unexpected turns of the transfer window.

Reports from Spain point to two factors that swung the decision: Rodri considers Flick’s possession-based midfield a better fit for his positional style, and several of his Spain teammates are already inside the Barcelona dressing room.

Real Madrid, now coached by Jose Mourinho after he was appointed on a three-year deal in June, had led the pursuit for weeks before Barcelona intervened.

Barquero returned to Cadena SER to close the chapter on Madrid’s approach.

Read also: BBC answers the big questions about Cadillac and Haas as F1 returns at Zandvoort

“Out of respect for Real Madrid, because they were highly professional, Rodri informed them that his decision was to join Barcelona.”

Flick, whose side won a 5-2 pre-season friendly against Basel last week, made clear he expects more signings before the window shuts.

“I think we need a few more players.”

Read also: Fraud arrest inside Alexander Stadium leaves Britain's relay champions and thousands of fans stranded

Read also: 'I'm so nervous': Guardiola film reveals unseen tears before Etihad farewell

Related Stories