FIFA launches disciplinary case after explosive claims World Cup was ‘rigged’

FIFA launches disciplinary case after explosive claims World Cup was ‘rigged’

FIFA has opened cases against Egypt coach Hossam Hassan, team director Ibrahim Hassan and forward Mostafa Zico over public claims that the 2026 World Cup was fixed to keep Argentina…

·

Read in:

Egypt did not lose quietly on 7 July. They led Argentina 2-0 in the last 16, went out 3-2 to a stoppage-time Enzo Fernandez winner, and then their coach, team director and star forward went on television to accuse FIFA of fixing the match. Six weeks on, all three are being investigated for it.

The Egyptian Football Association confirmed the proceedings on Thursday and said it would submit written defences within FIFA’s deadlines and back the three men.

Zico blames the referee outright

Forward Mostafa Zico is the man most exposed. While Egypt were leading 2-0 in the second half, he had a goal disallowed for a foul by Marwan Attia on Lisandro Martinez in the build-up, and afterwards spoke to Egyptian television.

“Congratulations to Argentina on the World Cup. The tournament is rigged, the referee was unjust, from the start of the match he was against us, and he wasted the efforts of an entire nation. Were they going to let us beat Argentina 2-0?”

Read also: Duplantis is used to being almost untouchable: Four days after European gold, it's a very different story

Hossam Hassan points at marketing

Head coach Hossam Hassan attacked FIFA’s slogans rather than any single decision.

“We were the better side today against Argentina, but football is not fair, and what happened was unjust, even though FIFA raises the banner of ‘fair play’.”

He went further, suggesting a commercial motive.

“It is possible that marketing matters are the reason. They do not want (Lionel) Messi to go out, they want the world champion to continue in the World Cup.”

Read also: Coach speaks out after Messi altercation: Argentine still faces possible punishment over 'swipe'

Ibrahim Hassan cites “glaring errors”

Team director Ibrahim Hassan concentrated on the officiating.

“We were leading Argentina by two goals to nil, and we were capable of continuing the journey, had it not been for the glaring refereeing errors that everyone witnessed, which revealed the truth before the world, after we were knocked out by someone’s doing.”

Collina defended the officials in July

FIFA’s refereeing chief Pierluigi Collina addressed the accusations two days after the match. He defended French referee François Letexier and the VAR crew, and rejected any suggestion that officials could be steered from above.

“Nobody can question the integrity of the FIFA World Cup match officials. Equally, nobody can claim that FIFA refereeing can be influenced by anyone, not even by the FIFA president.”

Read also: After a Vogue farewell hint and a Cascais wedding, Ronaldo lands at Al-Riyadh

“Constructive discussion about decisions will always be part of football, but unfounded allegations have no place in our sport.”

Six days to answer FIFA

The three men have six days from notification to file written responses to the Disciplinary Committee. No sanction has been decided yet, and the letters are formal invitations to answer the charges.

The Egyptian FA had already asked FIFA to send Letexier and his crew home after the match. It now says it will “submit the required responses and legal memoranda within FIFA’s deadlines” while pledging to support the three.

Argentina, the side Egypt accused the tournament of protecting, lost the World Cup final 1-0 to Spain twelve days later, beaten by a Ferran Torres extra-time goal at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford.

Read also: F1’s highest-paid drivers revealed as Verstappen pockets six times more than title leader Antonelli

Read also: Surprise transfer rumour before Premier League kick-off: Julian Alvarez linked with late Arsenal move

Related Stories