Max Verstappen went into the summer with a working escape route. His previous Red Bull deal, running to the end of 2028, contained a performance clause that allowed him to leave if the team sat outside the top two of the drivers’ championship at the break. Red Bull did not clear that bar.
He stayed anyway.
On Thursday, the day before running began at his home Dutch Grand Prix in Zandvoort, Red Bull confirmed Verstappen had extended through the end of 2030. By the time the contract runs out he will have spent 15 seasons with the team.
The car did not talk him into it. The team boss did.
Read also: Antonelli will take a grid penalty at his home race in Monza: Mercedes explains the cold logic
Mekies is the pivot
Laurent Mekies, promoted to team principal in July 2025 after Christian Horner’s exit, has become the axis around which Verstappen’s decision turned. Speaking after the announcement, Mekies described his lead driver’s role in almost governance terms.
“He’s the central point to the team. He’s one we always refer to for all the strategic decisions we are making.”
Verstappen’s own explanation lined up. In his statement through the team he singled out the Frenchman as the reason he could commit for another four years.
“Getting to work with Laurent now for over a year has also been great, I see a clear vision he has for the team,” Verstappen said.
Read also: Vingegaard breaks silence on Tour frustration: 'The route was made for Pogacar'
Mekies had been sending this signal for a year. At last summer’s Hungarian Grand Prix, weeks after taking over from Horner, he called Verstappen central to the team while the driver was still batting away exit rumours.
The team principal also acknowledged what the extension puts on his own shoulders.
“We don’t take it lightly. With that trust comes a huge amount of responsibility in living up to being able to give him the best package for the years to come.”
Closer to retirement than to another team
The rival offers were real. Sky Sports reported that his management held talks with McLaren earlier this year over a 2027 switch. But by his own account the alternative to Red Bull was not another garage.
Read also: Ten days for Arteta: champions linked with €100m Yildiz bid before window shuts
“I think I was closer to retiring than changing teams,” Verstappen told The Race.
That reframes what Mekies actually had to do. He did not have to outbid McLaren. He had to convince a 28-year-old four-time champion, worn down by a car generation he has openly criticised, that Formula 1 with Red Bull was still worth doing.
No 2026 win yet for the champion
The signature lands with Red Bull well below its recent peak. Verstappen finished the 2025 season two points behind Lando Norris in the drivers’ championship, and he has yet to win a race in 2026, taking four podiums.
He races on his home grid at Zandvoort this weekend contracted to Red Bull until the end of the decade.
Read also: Didier Drogba with a clear message to Diomande: 'Be careful, Mourinho is my dad'
Read also: Max Verstappen reveals he was closer to retiring than making shock McLaren switch



