The whistles started when the stadium announcer read out his name. On Wednesday, 19 August 2026, as Barcelona presented their squad to supporters before the Joan Gamper Trophy against Al-Ahly, sections of the Camp Nou crowd booed Frenkie de Jong. He walked onto the pitch to jeers from his own supporters.
Two days earlier, Hansi Flick had taken the captaincy off him. According to reporting from El Larguero relayed by Yahoo Sports, the call was Flick’s own, not one handed down from the boardroom. Raphinha now wears the armband on an interim basis, with Eric Garcia and Pedri completing a provisional leadership trio while the squad waits to hold a formal captaincy vote.
De Jong had already spoken publicly the Friday before. In an interview with Barcelona’s own media channels, he set out a list of stories he wants shut down.
“There is a lot of noise surrounding me and a lot of fake news,” he said. “It’s bothering me, so I want to clear a couple of things up.”
Read also: Man City's 115 charges: the question every Premier League fan is asking as a new season begins
“Publishing so much fake news does damage to my image.”
Then he named the journalist he holds responsible.
“I’m not going to let it slide anymore, because he needs to understand that if he puts things out that aren’t true, I’m going to call him out on it.”
What de Jong actually denied
The most damaging claim was that he had refused to start Barcelona’s Champions League quarter-final second leg away to Atlético Madrid last season, a story pinned on Gerard Romero and repeated across Spanish football media for months.
“That’s false. It’s false. It’s simply not true,” de Jong told Yahoo Sports’ account of the interview.
“My dream is to play for Barca, especially in important Champions League matches. Of course I want to play.”
He was equally direct on the reports of a broken relationship with his manager.
“I have a very good relationship with the coach. I talk to him a lot.”
Read also: Max Verstappen had Red Bull escape route but one man convinced him to stay
Claims that he was being punished by the club, or that his relations with the directors had collapsed, he called “completely false”.
The injury Flick would not overlook
Underneath the captaincy call is a specific dispute about how de Jong handled a knee injury picked up during the 2026 World Cup. He played through a medial collateral ligament problem across three Netherlands matches without knowing the full extent of the damage, then went on holiday before returning to Barcelona for a full medical assessment.
He declined surgery. Barcelona wanted the operation, but he preferred rest and rehabilitation.
His own account, relayed by Sporten, was that the injury began with an accidental collision in training, that the physios initially waved him on, and that later scans found more damage than the first tests.
Read also: Antonelli will take a grid penalty at his home race in Monza: Mercedes explains the cold logic
“I’m really pissed off about the injury. What I love the most is playing football,” de Jong told Barcelona’s official channel.
Flick’s answer was to remove the armband. The manager is still described as broadly supportive and expects de Jong back in the side once he is fit, with the demotion framed as a warning rather than a verdict.
Juventus watching from a distance
The competition for his place in midfield is not just an accident of the injury. Barcelona have signed Rodri from Manchester City as reinforcement after two earlier bids were rejected, and Marc Bernal continues to develop.
Juventus have watched him closely. Barca Universal reported on 20 August that a loan is one of the models Barcelona would consider, if a club takes on his substantial salary and accepts an option to make the move permanent. He renewed his contract through 2029 earlier this year, which strengthens Barcelona’s negotiating position and complicates any move.
Read also: Vingegaard breaks silence on Tour frustration: 'The route was made for Pogacar'
The 29-year-old said he wanted to get the anger off his chest so he could concentrate on his recovery, which is expected to keep him out for five to six months. By the time he is available to play, the fans who booed him on Wednesday, and the coach who removed the armband, will have made most of the decisions about the season without him.



