Cristiano Ronaldo’s future in Saudi still uncertain
Cristiano Ronaldo is poised to return to Al-Nassr’s lineup this weekend after missing two recent Saudi Pro League fixtures, a development that follows internal discussions over club funding structures, according to reporting from GiveMeSport.
The 41-year-old forward was absent from league matches against Al-Taawoun and Al-Shabab, a stretch that intensified scrutiny around how financial resources are distributed among Saudi Arabia’s top clubs.
Bigger questions about funding
At the heart of the matter are broader concerns about competitive balance within the Saudi Pro League’s investment model.
Several leading clubs, including Al-Nassr and Al-Hilal, operate under the umbrella of Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund (PIF), the sovereign wealth fund that has driven the Kingdom’s push into global sport. Each side receives a central allocation at the start of the season through the league’s Player Acquisition Centre for Excellence (PACE). Clubs may apply for additional backing for marquee signings, but approvals are not automatic.
Read also: Brewers crown baseball’s best farm system in 2026 shakeup
According to GiveMeSport, league officials believe recent conversations have helped calm tensions sufficiently for Ronaldo to feature in Saturday’s match against Al-Fateh. Sources within Al-Nassr, however, have described the situation as still evolving behind the scenes.
The Benzema flashpoint
One reported source of frustration involved rival recruitment activity. GiveMeSport states that questions were raised over how Karim Benzema’s move from Al-Ittihad to Al-Hilal was financed.
Al-Hilal representatives told the outlet that the transfer was funded by board member Prince Alwaleed bin Talal bin Abdulaziz rather than through central PIF or league allocations.
During his absence from matchday squads, Ronaldo continued training. Individuals close to the former Manchester United and Real Madrid star told GiveMeSport he remained committed in preparation, while figures inside Al-Nassr indicated the club’s leadership understood his concerns.
Read also: Infantino says he is “shocked and saddened” by alleged racist abuse
An expanding league with global ambitions
The backdrop is a competition still aggressively pursuing international relevance. Al-Nassr spent more than £100 million in the most recent transfer window, adding several high-profile European-based players as part of the league’s broader expansion strategy.
GiveMeSport reports that Saudi clubs are preparing another significant recruitment drive following the 2026 World Cup, with dozens of foreign signings anticipated. That scale of ambition has intensified internal debates over how financial support is allocated.
Addressing the wider discussion last week, a league spokesperson said:
“no individual - however significant - determines decisions beyond their own club.”
The comment underscored the league’s centralized governance framework amid speculation that Ronaldo’s stature could influence policy.
Read also: Flick under fire as Girona defeat exposes cracks at Barcelona
Milestones and long-term stakes
Beyond immediate squad considerations, Ronaldo’s presence carries symbolic and commercial weight. His contract runs until the summer of 2027, and league officials are reportedly mindful of the reputational impact were he to depart under strained circumstances.
He is currently approaching the 900-goal mark in official senior competitions, with the longer-term milestone of 1,000 career goals viewed internally as a landmark achievement that could further elevate the league’s global profile.
According to GiveMeSport, senior figures within the Ministry of Sport have even discussed the possibility of Ronaldo assuming an ownership role at Al-Nassr once his playing career concludes.
For now, attention returns to Saturday’s fixture against Al-Fateh. If he takes the field, it will signal that a delicate dispute one rooted less in minutes played and more in financial parity has, at least temporarily, been defused.
Read also: Exhausted Arsenal player sparks fan backlash after Wolves clash
Source: GiveMeSport
Read also: McGregor drops comeback bombshell in deleted post
