Killer keeper cleared to play: Bruno Fernandes returns to Brazilian cup
Bruno Fernandes, 41, has been officially registered to compete in Brazil’s national cup, according to the Brazilian Football Confederation, CBF. The move allows the former Atlético Mineiro and Flamengo goalkeeper to appear for Vasco Da Gama AC in Thursday’s Copa Do Brasil first round match against Velo Clube at Arena Da Floresta in Rio Branco.
His eligibility was confirmed when his name appeared in the CBF’s BID registration system on Wednesday, a public database used to validate professional player contracts.
Fernandes was convicted in connection with the 2010 killing of Eliza Samudio, who had sought legal recognition of paternity and child support for their son. He was sentenced to 22 years in prison and has been on parole since 2019.
The 2010 case that shook Brazil
Details of the crime were widely reported at the time and continue to cast a shadow over his career. According to O2, prosecutors said Samudio was lured to the home of an acquaintance, identified in court proceedings as a doorman, before being abducted.
Read also: Soldier takes olympian’s flat in shock housing reversal
Investigators alleged she was held against her will, abused and later killed. Although her body was never found, a court determined that witness testimony and statements from co defendants provided sufficient proof of her death. Fernandes was ultimately convicted and began serving his sentence before being granted parole after several years.
Registration confirmed by CBF
The Brazilian Football Confederation’s BID system showed Fernandes as eligible to play as of Wednesday, clearing the final administrative step required for match participation.
Vasco Da Gama AC coach Eric Rodrigues told local media that the goalkeeper had been training with the squad and would be in line to start once paperwork was finalized. Progressing in the Copa Do Brasil would bring significant prize money to the Acre based club, an important factor for teams outside Brazil’s top divisions.
Debate over redemption in Brazilian sport
Fernandes’ return has prompted renewed discussion across Brazilian media about rehabilitation and the limits of second chances in professional football. According to coverage from ge.globo.com and other national outlets, critics argue that allowing him back onto the field risks overshadowing the severity of the crime, while others maintain that he has served part of his sentence and is legally entitled to work.
Read also: Shootout shock: Japan bans draws as every tied game heads to penalties
Vasco Da Gama AC has not issued a detailed public statement addressing the broader controversy surrounding his registration.
Sources: O2
Read also: Barca eye blockbuster as laporta hints at major summer splash
