Neymar Jr., Vinicius Jr

Neymar’s emotional relief after making Brazil’s World Cup squad

Neymar reacted emotionally to his inclusion in Brazil’s World Cup squad, overcoming injury doubts and public scrutiny to earn his fourth call-up.

·

Read in:

Neymar’s inclusion in Brazil’s 26-man World Cup squad has sparked an emotional reaction from the 34-year-old forward, who faced significant doubts over his fitness for the tournament. A video posted by close friend Cris Guedes on his live stream captured Neymar’s tearful relief as his name was announced, underscoring the pressure and uncertainty surrounding his potential participation.

The veteran attacker, Brazil’s leading goalscorer with 79 goals from 128 appearances, last featured for the national team in October 2023. His journey to a fourth World Cup has been fraught with challenges, including several injury-disrupted years that cast a shadow over his readiness for the global showpiece.

Ancelotti’s difficult decision

Head coach Carlo Ancelotti reportedly kept two different squad lists prepared until the very last minute, a testament to the difficult decision he faced regarding Neymar’s condition. One list included the experienced forward, while the other featured Chelsea’s Joao Pedro, who was ultimately left out of the final selection.

Ancelotti addressed the decision in a press conference on Monday night, highlighting Neymar’s recent improvements. “We evaluated Neymar throughout the year and noticed that recently he has been playing ​consistently ⁠and has improved his physical condition,” Ancelotti stated. “He has the same role and responsibilities as everyone else, but he is an experienced player. It’s true that in some positions we prioritised experience.”

Read also: Enzo Maresca agrees terms to take over from Pep Guardiola at Manchester City

Overcoming criticism and injury

Neymar himself had spoken about his physical state and the public scrutiny he endured following Santos’ win over Coritiba on Sunday, where he felt discomfort in his calf. Despite the minor setback, he expressed confidence in his recovery and hit back at his detractors.

“I worked hard, quietly, at home, suffering because of what people were saying, and it all worked out,” Neymar said after the match. “I’ve made it to where I wanted to be in one piece. I’m happy with my performance, with everything I’ve done so far.” His comments reflect years of battling not only physical ailments but also persistent “nonsense” being said about his condition, as reported by SPORTbible.

Neymar will now prepare for his fourth World Cup, having previously represented Brazil in 2014, 2018, and 2022. His presence is expected to be crucial for a Brazilian side aiming for glory, with his experience and goalscoring prowess seen as vital assets.

https://www.tiktok.com/@tmcnewsbr/video/7641408905976859924?embed_source=121374463%2C121468991%2C121439635%2C121749182%2C121433650%2C121404358%2C121497414%2C122221973%2C122122240%2C121351166%2C121811500%2C121960941%2C122122244%2C122122243%2C122122242%2C121487028%2C122258714%2C121331973%2C120811592%2C120810756%2C121885509%3Bnull%3Bembed_blank&refer=embed&referer_url=www.sportbible.com%2F&referer_video_id=7641408905976859924

Sources: www.sportbible.com

Read also: Arsenal one win away from Premier League title after Burnley victory

Read also: Verstappen's rare Nurburgring outing highlights F1 contract complexities and future debates

Related Stories