Monaco is not over yet: McLaren and Red Bull get court date for Monaco GP appeal

Monaco is not over yet: McLaren and Red Bull get court date for Monaco GP appeal

The FIA’s International Court of Appeal will hear both teams’ challenge to Pierre Gasly’s reinstated Monaco podium on Tuesday, August 25, two days after the Dutch Grand Prix at Zandvoort.

·

Read in:

McLaren and Red Bull will get their day in the FIA’s International Court of Appeal on Tuesday, August 25, when judges in Paris will consider whether Pierre Gasly’s third place at the 2026 Monaco Grand Prix should stand.

The hearing has been scheduled for 9am local time at FIA headquarters at 8 place de la Concorde, with proceedings closed to the public and media at the request of the parties involved. The case has been registered as ICA-2026-06-07-08-09.

How Gasly got his podium back

Pierre Gasly originally collected two five-second pit-lane speeding penalties at Monaco that dropped him out of the podium places. Alpine then lodged a Right of Review, arguing that the timekeeping system had misread the car’s speed down the lane.

Stewards accepted the argument on June 12, rescinding both penalties after concluding there had been “a significant and relevant new element that was unavailable to them at the time of their decisions.” Gasly was restored to third place, Isack Hadjar of Red Bull dropped from third to fourth, and Oscar Piastri from fourth to fifth.

Read also: Bad gets worse: More bad news for Infantino

McLaren and Red Bull filed their appeals against the reversal on June 16.

McLaren cites sporting inequity

The team’s argument is that other drivers caught by the same faulty pit-lane measurement have no route back. George Russell, Piastri, Lewis Hamilton and Franco Colapinto all served in-race pit-lane speeding penalties at Monaco that cannot be unwound after the fact.

“Such an outcome risks creating sporting inequity and undermining confidence in the consistent application of the FIA Sporting Regulations,” McLaren said in its filing, as reported by GPBlog.

The Woking team said the current outcome disadvantages competitors “who acted in accordance with the rules and the Stewards’ decisions.”

Read also: José Mourinho breaks silence on Vinicius Jr.: 'He knows whose side I'm on'

Constructors’ points are where the swing lands

The verdict will land two days after the Dutch Grand Prix at Zandvoort on Sunday, August 23.

McLaren sit third in the constructors’ championship on 220 points, 43 clear of fourth-placed Red Bull after the Hungarian Grand Prix. Reinstating Hadjar’s podium and Piastri’s original fourth would move points from Alpine to McLaren and Red Bull. Mercedes are running away with the constructors’ table on 379.

Andrea Kimi Antonelli has meanwhile pulled 50 points clear of Ferrari’s Lewis Hamilton at the top of the drivers’ standings. Lando Norris is fifth, Max Verstappen sixth, Piastri seventh and Hadjar eighth. Any drivers’ reshuffle sits in the single digits, but the order behind team-mates matters to both garages.

The court’s decision will be published after the hearing.

Read also: Okocha asked to choose between Ronaldo and Messi as the greatest: Had no doubt as he answered instantly

Read also: Pedri makes big revelation: Spent all his money on one thing after receiving his first Barcelona paycheck

Related Stories