The build-up covered every register a modern athlete has. A private wedding in Cascais on 11 August to Georgina Rodríguez. A Vogue interview published five days later in which the 41-year-old said the 2026-27 season is “probably” his last in professional football. A holiday trimmed so he could get back to Riyadh for a bespoke fitness programme.
The destination for all of that: an away fixture at Al-Riyadh, kick-off 7pm local time.
Ronaldo missed Al-Nassr’s opening 3-0 league win over Al-Fateh and a 4-1 King’s Cup victory against Al-Diriyah while working through that plan. A 90-minute session in Riyadh earlier this week was described by the club as the first proper block of a “special program” put together by the fitness staff, built around the fact that his summer already contained the 2026 World Cup and a wedding.
Postecoglou: ‘Day by day, you’ll see him soon’
New manager Ange Postecoglou has been careful with the language and even more careful with the workload.
Read also: F1’s highest-paid drivers revealed as Verstappen pockets six times more than title leader Antonelli
“Ronaldo is working very hard. He had the World Cup, and he’s important to us. He was busier than any other player, and it’s crucial that he starts the season ready,” Postecoglou told his pre-match media session.
“He’s had a training session, and I’m happy. Day by day, you’ll see him soon.”
Whether that means minutes off the bench or a start is Postecoglou’s call on the night. The Australian has said he does not plan to redesign the team around Ronaldo’s return, and Al-Nassr are unbeaten across their opening two competitive fixtures without him.
Dulac welcomes Ronaldo
Al-Nassr make the short trip with six first-team players unavailable, a mix of injuries and rests that leaves the travelling squad thinner than the headline number suggests. Their hosts arrive in worse form: Al-Riyadh have failed to win 26 of their last 32 matches and were beaten 4-2 by Al-Ettifaq in their own opener.
Al-Riyadh coach Mauricio Dulac framed the visit as a compliment rather than a threat.
“When we talk about Ronaldo, we are talking about a legend, someone who has made history in football and in the world of football. If Cristiano plays against us, it will be a pleasure for everyone,” Dulac told reporters.
“They are a very good team with an extremely strong squad and many stars. But I think that is also very good for us, because when we play against good players and very strong teams, we raise our own level as well.”
For a player who spent weeks giving the impression of a career winding down, the actual restart is small, local and on a Friday night.
Read also: Max Verstappen can still walk away from Red Bull as father confirms key contract clause
Read also: Ronaldinho makes shocking football comeback after more than 10 years away



